12/1/07

Final Destination 2...

Final Destination was an interesting movie. Seemed very original concept. The acting was tacky, but you get what you pay for. The sequel is more fresh in my mind so we'll talk about that one. The plot brings you a similar story to the first movie. A girl has a vision and intervenes/cheats/escapes (whatever) death. In the first film we got a plane crash, the second we've got a huge highway traffic accident. I guess as statistics go more people die in car accidents annually compared to air collisions/explosions/crashes. So sort of realistic in an odd way. So the dumb girl and her friends slowly learn about how death has an order to follow. She also somehow makes a connection to the characters of the first movie and gains the aid of a character from the first movie. I won't give away too much of the movie if you're really into not knowing who dies or what not. If you care stop reading.

I'll describe some of the deaths. Most of them I felt like I have seen before like the car blowing up, logs off lumber truck, and blunt force trauma to the head. However they gave three I felt were pretty unique. I love how they lead you onto thinking the boy would die some terrible death in the dentist office and toy with people's fear of dentistry. However he dies in a very random way with a huge pane of glass crushing him on the street. Wow, that was random. Not to mention how it perfectly lands on his head parallel to the ground crushing him vertically like an accordion. The second would have to be what I would call the grating death. Explosion followed with a barbed wire fence shot slicing a guy into 3. People have been chopped in half by flying sheets of metal and saws before but barbed wire fences seemed new. Finally we got an elevator death. The same mother to the poor chap get smashed with that glass ends with her neck stuck in an elevator door. For all attentive purpose the morons should have been able to release her, but I guess death extends it hand into not letting the safety or the those doors budge. Elevator goes up... Head comes off. Props for that one. A generation of people will eternally make remarks when an elevator pinches someone.

So all in all I guess I can't completely hate this film. The plot and acting may have sucked, but the deaths make up for it. A movie like this, that's all that's really important. Don't defend the plot please and say it was brilliant how she tricked death by drowning temporarily. Don't tell me the plot was ingenious how the order played out. Don't tell me that little joke with the kid blowing up in the end was funny. This was just an entertaining film for some reason and I really cannot tell you why. I've seen the first one as well and I feel both of them are at about the same level. I never made it through the third one entirely, but did not like what I saw. Third movie was bad, and apparently they're making a fourth with the same director as the second one. I will not be in line for this one but maybe will watch inattentively on HBO or OnDemand.

No comments: