12/5/07

"Hydra will rip at your senses and plunge you into a quagmire of revulsion..."


You gotta love movie taglines like the one above. I couldn't think of a better post title, so there. But before I get to my review of Blood Waters of Dr. Z (1975) I need to say this will be my last post for awhile. I still plan to write but probably only on a monthly basis. And they won't be skimpy like some of my older posts. Alright now with that out of the way it's movie time.

So you might be confused about the poster and the tagline right now. It's because this film has a number of ridiculous names it goes by. Besides the version I saw it's also called Zaat, Legend of the Zaat Monster, and Hydra (in Canada that is). So many names for such a bad film really.

Dr. Leopold, at the very beginning of the movie, decides he's had it with the human race and takes action. This misanthropic fellow adores all sea creatures and turns himself into a humanoid catfish. A menacing hybrid to be sure, and completely unique from the Gill-man. He then goes to populate the local waters with small, vicious walking catfish and hunt down the former colleagues who didn't support him. After that's all done the doc plans his bigger scheme in one of his many rants:

"I'll cause underwater life to triumph over all other living creatures. I will adapt myself to a permanent underwater environment. All other humans will be conquered. I can not - I WILL NOT BE STOPPED! I will select a mate with utmost care, and together we will create a whole new aquatic race. But there is no time left!"

Actually most of the movie is made up of his boring rambles and stock footage of aquatic animals. Any tension it might have is ruined by some horrible editing. I'd give it a pass if you watch only good movies, but if you've got a group with the right attitude it could be worth some dumb fun. Check out Bad Movie's review and the short clip, very representative of the entire mess.

No comments: